Sir George Monoux College is built on almost 500 years of history.
Sir George Monoux, the founder of the College, was born in 1465. He was a wealthy man who spent much of his time in Walthamstow and held many prominent positions in 16th century London life, including Warden of the Draper's Company, Alderman, Sheriff of London and Lord Mayor. Sir George Monoux was elected to Parliament as a Burgess for the City in 1523. He erected the almshouses and associated school from which Sir George Monoux College is descended in St. Mary's Churchyard, Walthamstow Village, in 1527.
The Monoux School operated there for 353 years until moving firstly to West Avenue, then to High Street and finally to the current site in Chingford Road in July 1927. The western end was rebuilt in 1955 following bombing in October 1940. From 1959 to 1969 it operated as a grammar school for boys. From 1969 to 1986 the school was a comprehensive, and in the late 1960s, it was ranked as the 11th best state school in the country. In 1986 the school became a Sixth Form College and girls were admitted for the first time. In 1993, it became an Incorporated College. The College has invested millions over the past few years to provide exceptional facilities for the students. The Brockman Building was opened in September 2003 and the Drapers Building was opened in September 2004.
Almost 500 years after its foundation, Sir George Monoux College continues the original vision of its founder by providing high quality education to the young people of London.
For more information, scroll down to our alumni section or see the Old Monovians website.
Winner of BBC The Voice 2014
Choreographer & Director
CEO at Mayborn Group Ltd
Former NATO spokesman
Founder of Pontins
Armed Forces Captain
University of Cambridge Master
Chelsea FC striker